Spouse Visa Requirements

Spouse Visa UK Requirements

Our team of immigration lawyers can guide you through your Spouse Visa application process.

Call us for immediate help & assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.

Spouse Visa Requirements

The UK requirements for a Spouse Visa are some of the most challenging to meet. To prove that you are eligible, you will have to provide extensive documents which show your relationship is genuine. Your UK sponsor will have to earn over £18,600 a year. You will also need to have adequate housing provisions.

The exact visa you need will depend on your individual circumstances. If you are hoping to move to the UK to be with your partner, you must make a Spouse Visa application. You can also either apply as a Fiancee or Unmarried Partner of a British citizen or a person with settled status. If you want to apply for a Spouse Visa, your partner must either be a British citizen by birth or a naturalised British citizen.

If you meet the UK’s Spouse Visa requirements, a Fiance Visa will only be issued for a six month period, during which you would be expected to get married. An Unmarried Partner or Spouse Visa is valid for 30 months. After 30 months, you will be able to apply for an extension for a further 30 months. After the five year period has come to an end, you will be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and, at a later time, for Citizenship in the UK.

Requirements breakdown

To get a Spouse Visa in UK, you must be married to a British citizen or a person who hold Indefinite Leave to Remain. Besides, you must meet specific requirements, such as:

  • The genuine relationship requirement, meaning that you and your partner must demonstrate that you are in love and you intend to live together permanently.
  • The financial requirements, as you will need proof that you can support your family without seeking public funds.
  • The accommodation requirement, to offer your family adequate accommodation to live together in the UK
  • The English language requirements, meaning that you must be able to speak and understand English.

You will need to prepare a comprehensive bundle of documents to demonstrate your eligibility for all these requirements. Get in touch with our immigration lawyers to receive professional support with your application.

Partner Visa require application documents

To make sure that your application is successful, you must prepare a bundle of supporting documents, which must contain the following paperwork:

  • Any proof that you and your partner are in love: pictures of you two together, chat and call logs, shared bank accounts, money transfers.
  • Proof that you have met each other at least once.
  • Proof of the applicant’s English fluency. This may be the results of the IELTS test, an English-taught degree, or a passport from an English-speaking country.
  • Proof that you meet the minimum income requirement: bank statements, wage slips, job contracts which include your salary
  • Proof that you meet the accommodation requirement, such as a shared tenancy agreement or mortgage.
  • Any other documents that can demonstrate that you and your partner are in a genuine relationship.

Based on your circumstances, you may need to provide additional documentation. Speak to one of our experts today to receive professional help.

If you need any guidance or support in your Spouse Visa extension application, call us today.

The genuine relationship requirement

To get leave to remain in the UK together, you and your British citizen partner must demonstrate that you are genuinely in love and that your relationship is subsisting.

The main criteria for the Home Office to understand if your relationship is genuine are the following:

  • You must have physically met your partner at least once during your marriage.
  • If you and your partner have been living in a committed relationship for at least two years but you are not married, you can apply for an Unmarried Partner Visa.

You must prove that you have your partner have been spending some time together. To this end, you can submit chat and call logs, photographs of you two together, shared bank accounts.

UK Spouse Visa financial requirement

To meet the Spouse Visa financial requirements and stay in the UK, you and your partner must earn a combined gross annual income of £18,600. This increases by £3,800 for your first dependent child and £2,400 for any additional children.

This can come from any of the following sources, including a combination of them:

  • Employment salary (including self-employment)
  • Money from stocks and shares
  • Pension
  • Income from letting (if applicable)
  • Savings (up to the value of £16,000)

Your income can only be used towards your application if you are currently residing in the UK and are earning the money in the country.

There may be cases where you are exempt from the financial requirements, this usually applies if you receive any of the following benefits:

  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment or Guaranteed Income Payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • Constant Attendance Allowance, Mobility Supplement or War Disablement Pension under the War Pensions Scheme
  • Bereavement benefits

If you are eligible for these benefits, you will have to provide evidence of “adequate maintenance” for your spouse and the dependents. The Home Office is required to consider specified circumstances if the UK sponsor does not meet the minimum financial requirement.

UK Spouse Visa English language requirement

To get a Spouse Visa to stay in the UK, the non-British applicant must prove the Home Office to be able to speak and understand English to a proficient standard.

To demonstrate your proficiency, you must either:

  • Have passed an approved English language test to the required level (A1 or higher, depending on your circumstances).
  • Hold a degree from a recognised institution, which was taught or researched in English.
  • Be from a country where English is the first spoken language.

The Partner Visa accommodation requirement

It is important that you and your partner have adequate accommodation for your family in the UK. This can be:

  • A rented property
  • A temporary accommodation
  • A mortgaged or owned property.

As a general rule, an apartment with one room with a shared bed is sufficient for a couple. Nevertheless, your house must have an additional bedroom for each of your children over the age of one.

If you need support with your spouse visa application, we have offices based in London and Blackburn, as well as many other locations across the UK.

Advice Package

Application Package

Fast Track Package

Appeal Package

We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

Reach out to us for more information or to see how we can help you?

Frequently Asked Questions