Sportsperson Visa (T2)

Sportsperson Visa (T2)

If you are an international sportsperson or qualified coach, then you could be eligible for the UK Sportsperson Visa (T2) if you will be making a contribution to the development of your sport whilst in the country.

Sportsperson Visa UK

A Sportsperson Visa is a type of UK Work Visa that is part of the points-based visa system. If you are an elite sportsperson or qualified coach you may be able to work in a sporting role in the UK with a UK Sportsperson Visa. This visa is applicable if you are recognised by your sport’s governing body as being an elite member of your profession.

This visa allows you to enter and live in the UK as a foreign national for a maximum of three years. This is provided you work within a role in which you will make an exceptional difference to your sport in the UK.

What are the Sportsperson Visa UK requirements?

The Sportsperson Visa is part of the UK’s points-based immigration system, to be eligible an applicant must score at least 70 points.

You can score 50 points by getting a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) to prove to the Home Office that you have a job offer in the UK. You will need to prove that the role you will be doing will make a significant contribution to the development of your sport and that you are:

  • An elite sportsperson or qualified coach
  • Recognised by your sport’s governing body as being internationally established at the highest level of your profession

You must get your endorsement from your sports governing body and to be able to issue you a Certificate of Sponsorship they hold a sponsor licence to employ overseas workers.

A further 10 points can be scored by meeting the English language requirements. Applicants for a sportsperson visa don’t have to meet the same English language requirements as applicants for other work visas. Instead of being able to pass an accredited English test at CEFR level B1, Sportspersons can be eligible as long as they pass at at least level A1.

The final 10 points can be scored by meeting the maintenance requirements. You will need to prove that you can support yourself financially whilst in the UK. To do this you will need to show that you have had at least £1,270 in your bank account for a continuous period of at least 28 days within 31 days of applying for your visa.

What can I do whilst in the UK on a Sportsperson Visa?

The Sportsperson Visa allows you to work in the UK in the job described on your Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS). As well as this you can also:

  • Take on a second job in certain circumstances
  • Play for your national team in the UK
  • Work as a sports broadcaster
  • Do voluntary work
  • Study, as long as it does not interfere with the job on your CoS
  • Travel abroad and return to the UK

This visa also allows you to bring your family members with you to the UK. The dependents that you can bring with you include your partner and any children that are eligible.

Whilst the Sportsperson Visa does open up many opportunities in the UK, there are some limitations. You cannot access public funds whilst you are here and you also cannot start or run a business or apply for a second job until you have started working for your sponsor.

How can We Manage Your Visas help?

You can apply for a visa to work as a Sportsperson in the United Kingdom up to 3 months before you intend to travel here. The application process can be complicated, as well as filling in the application form you will need to be able to prove to the Home Office that you can meet all of the eligibility requirements. To do this, you will need to provide a substantia portfolio of supporting documents.

Our expert immigration lawyers have decades of experience and are trained in all areas of immigration law. They can help you understand if you are eligible for a Sportsperson Visa and can offer professional immigration advice about all of the options available to you. Our lawyers can arrange and organise your Certificate of Sponsorship and liaise with your UK Sponsor and Sport’s Governing Body. Our services also include thorough document checks and the completion of your application form.

Advice Package

Application Package

Fast Track Package

Appeal Package

We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

Reach out to us for more information or to see how we can help you?

Frequently Asked Questions