Creative Worker Visa

Creative Worker Visa

The UK offers a number of temporary work visas to foreign nationals to undertake short-term work assignments.

To apply for this visa, or to learn more about the types of visas that would suit your circumstances, contact WMYV for an immediate discussion about your case. We are on hand to discuss your case and look forward to assisting you.

Overview of the Creative Worker Visa

This visa has been designed for individuals who plan to work in the UK as a creative worker.

The Creative Worker Visa has replaced the former Temporary Worker – Creative and Sporting Visa (Tier 5).

There are strict eligibility criteria that applicants must meet including:

  • You must have been offered an eligible role in the UK as a creative worker
  • You can demonstrate you meet the visa eligibility requirements

The definition of a creative worker, according to the UK Home Office, is one who works in the creative industries (e.g., actors, dancers, musicians, film crew members, artists, authors, translators, presenters, dancers, choreographers, producers, directors, photographers, audio equipment operators, etc.).

Other temporary work visas include:

  • Temporary worker – Seasonal Worker
  • Temporary worker – Charity Worker
  • Temporary worker – Religious Worker
  • Temporary worker – Government Authorised Exchange
  • Temporary worker – International Agreement

If granted the Creative Visa, you can come to the UK for up to two years (24 months) to undertake permitted creative work. The visa does not lead directly to UK settlement (indefinite leave to remain).

If you are interested in applying for this visa and need support with your application, contact WMYV for immediate advice and support. Our experienced immigration lawyers can help with all stages of the application process and ensure your application is at the highest standard.

Who can apply for the Creative Worker visa?

There are clear guidelines for who is eligible to apply for this visa. Individuals must be able to demonstrate that they:

  • Can make a unique contribution to the UK’s labour market
  • Have a Certificate of Sponsorship from a valid sponsor
  • Are paid at least the minimum salary set by trade bodies Equity, PACT, or BECTU
  • Have sufficient financial resources to support themselves (at least £1,270)

You must also obtain 40 points under the UK’s new points-based immigration system.

You can receive points for the Creative Worker route in the following ways:

  • Be issued a valid Certificate of Sponsorship (30 points)
  • Prove that you meet the maintenance (financial) requirement (10 points)

The Certificate of Sponsorship is an important reference number which outlines the nature of your immigration status, your role, and the intended length of stay.

As well as this, the applicant must not fall under the grounds for refusal. Reasons for refusal may include:

  • History of breaching immigration laws
  • Being on immigration bail

If you are unsure about your eligibility for this visa, contact a qualified immigration lawyer who can advise you based on your personal circumstances.

What documents do you need?

The document you need to apply for the visa include the following:

  • Certificate of Sponsorship reference number
  • Valid passport or travel document
  • Proof of sufficient savings to maintain yourself in the UK (e.g., financial statements from your bank or savings account)
  • If you are bringing dependents, evidence of your relationship with your partner and children
  • Tuberculosis test results (where relevant)
  • Certified translations of any documents not in English

Depending on your circumstances, you may be required to submit additional documents to demonstrate your eligibility.

How to apply for the Creative Worker visa?

To apply for the creative work route, you should follow the below steps:

  1. Read the Home Office’s applicant guidance before you begin your application
  2. Apply on the website in the temporary work visa section
  3. Submit proof of your identify by providing your biometric information via app or at a visa application centre
  4. Gather your supporting documents to be submitted with your application
  5. Ensure that all the information in your application is accurate
  6. Submit your online application
  7. Wait for a decision

How much does the Creative Worker visa cost?

The visa application fee is £259 for the main applicant and any dependents.

The cost is the same whether you apply from inside the UK or outside.

Maintenance costs

A condition of the Creative Worker Visa is that you have sufficient finances to maintain yourself. This means you must have at least £1,270 available to you in the 28 days preceding your visa application.

Your dependent partner and child will need to demonstrate that they have adequate finances to support themselves while living with you in the UK.

They should demonstrate that they have:

  • £285 for your partner/ spouse
  • £315 for the first dependent child
  • £200 for each additional child

Creative Worker Certificate of Sponsorship

To get a Temporary Work – Creative Worker Visa for the UK, you need a valid Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) from an approved sponsor recognised by the Home Office. Your sponsor should also have a valid Temporary Work – Creative Worker sponsor license.

Your sponsor works in the creative field, like arts organisations, event planners, producers, venues, agents, promoters, production companies, or media organisations. Your sponsor might or might not be your direct employer.

When your sponsor gives you a CoS, they confirm one of these:

  • You’ll follow the relevant rules for your creative job if they exist.
  • Your job is on the list of jobs that are in high demand.
  • Your sponsor checked the job market and found that a local worker can’t do the job before giving you the CoS.
  • Sponsors in the creative sector can give CoS to individual creative workers or groups, like performers and their team. The team includes people whose work is closely related to entertainers, artists, or drama productions. These team members must have special skills.

Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to learn how to apply for your Visa.

Can you extend the Creative Worker Visa?

Yes, it is possible to extend your visa if you meet the eligibility criteria.

You must ensure to extend the visa in advance of the expiration of your current visa. Additionally, you must be in the UK while applying to extend.

If you intend to stay with the same sponsor, you may extend for:

  • 12 months
  • The time listed on your Certificate of Sponsorship plus 14 days
  • The time required to extend your stay to a maximum of 24 months

Or whichever event is the shorter.

If you wish to change sponsor, you may extend for:

  • The time on your certificate plus 14 additional days
  • The time you need to extend the stay to a total of 12 months
Processing Time

The processing time for the Creative Worker visa is around 3 weeks.

Switching to the Creative Worker visa

Depending on your circumstances, it may be possible to switch to the Creative Worker route.

If the following situations apply to your case, you may be eligible to apply to switch to this visa:

  • You are currently in the UK on a Standard Visitor Visa or Permitted Paid Engagement
  • You have been undertaking certain eligible activities within the creative sector
  • You received a Certificate of Sponsorship from your employer prior to arriving in the UK

However, if you availed of the Creative Worker Visa concession, you will not be eligible to enter the UK.

After you switch, you may stay for a maximum of 12 months.

What sources of income can be included towards the Spouse Visa financial criteria?

To meet the minimum income requirement for your UK Spouse Visa application, you can use:

  • Savings over £16,000
  • Earnings from employment or self-employment
  • Maternity, paternity, adoption or sick pay
  • Pensions
  • Other income such as that generated from rent or shares

If your partner is applying from outside the UK, they can use their savings to contribute towards the total income amount – but not their earnings. Nevertheless, if your partner is working in the UK, their earnings can count towards the total amount.

You can also use a combination of savings and earnings to help you meet the minimum income threshold. However, you will need to prove you have enough financial support for the entire length of the permit.

To see how much you will need in savings, first subtract any other eligible income from your minimum requirement. Then, multiply this figure by 2.5 and add 16,000.

Can you bring dependents on the Creative Worker visa?

Yes, it is possible for visa holders to bring their dependents with them to the UK.

Your partner and children may join you by submitting separate applications.

A dependent partner or child can include one of the following:

  • Your husband, wife, civil partner, or unmarried partner
  • Your child aged under 18 years old
  • Your child aged over 18 years old (if they are your dependent)

You must demonstrate that you are in a committed relationship with your partner (if unmarried), including cohabiting for the two years prior to your application.

If your dependent child is aged over 16 years, they must live with you (unless at school), must not be married, and they must depend on you for financial support.

How can We Manage Your Visas help?

At WMYV, we are committed to facilitating the Creative Worker visa sponsorship process for both individuals and businesses alike. Whether you’re an individual seeking sponsorship or a company looking to bring in talented individuals, we’re here to make the process smooth and efficient.

Our dedicated team of immigration experts will guide you through every step of the application process, ensuring that you meet all the necessary requirements. We’ll guide you to eligible sponsors and assist in securing a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS). With our support, you can confidently navigate the complex immigration landscape and  work in the creative industry in the UK.

We also understand the importance of hiring talented creative professionals to enhance your team. Our comprehensive services include helping you obtain a Temporary Work – Creative Worker sponsor license and managing the CoS allocation process. We’ll ensure compliance with the relevant regulations and provide ongoing support to help you attract and retain top talent within the creative sector.

At WMYV, we can help you achieve your immigration goals, whether you’re an individual looking to work in the UK’s creative industry or a business seeking to sponsor talented individuals. Let us simplify the process and guide you toward a successful Creative Worker visa sponsorship experience.

Advice Package

Application Package

Fast Track Package

Appeal Package

We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

Reach out to us for more information or to see how we can help you?

Frequently Asked Questions