Application for EEA Permanent Residence

Application for EEA Permanent Residence

Obtain EEA PR using our permanent residence application package.

What is the Application for EEA Permanent Residence (PR) Process?

An application for EEA Permanent Residence can be made if you are an EU citizen residing in the UK.  Permanent Residence is a status granted to EEA citizens under European law which allows them to live and work in the UK permanently. It is different to Indefinite Leave to Remain, which is granted to citizens who are subject to UK immigration law.

An EEA application for Permanent Residence status can be submitted once you have spent five years of continuous residence in the UK. You will also need to show that you have been exercising your Treaty Rights for those five years. You have been exercising your rights if you have been working or studying during your stay.

There are other requirements related to how you have been spending your time in the UK, such as health insurance for students at UK universities.

Am I eligible to apply for Permanent Residence?

The requirements for an application for an EEA permanent residence document will depend on how you have spent your time in the UK, as well as how long you have been here.

Usually, you will have to show that you have spent the majority of the past five years in the country. Your application may be at risk if you have spent time out of the UK, which exceeds the residence requirement.

Please visit our Permanent Residence page for more information on the application requirements for PR.

How do I apply for Permanent Residence?

There are two ways to apply for Permanent Residence, either by using the 85-page form or by completing the online application.

The online application form is not suitable for everyone. If any of the following factors apply to you, you will not be able to use the online form:

  • You are a family member of a qualifying EEA national (your sponsor), and you are not applying at the same time as them
  • You are a student or a self-sufficient (self employed) person who is financially responsible for any other family member
  • You are a student or self-sufficient who is financially reliant on family members for financial support
  • You are applying on the basis of retained rights
  • You are applying under the Surinder Singh category

After that, you are to submit your documents and await the processing time to receive a decision. You may also need to provide your biometric information.

What are the benefits of using the online system to apply for Permanent Residence?

Unlike the paper version of the EEA PR application, the online form will only ask you questions which are relevant to you. This structure means that you have to answer all of the questions before you proceed, so you should make sure you have all of the required information and documents before you start the application for Permanent Residence.

The other benefit of this method is that your local authority can check your passport and give it back to you using the European Passport Return Service. In order to use this service, you will need to attend an appointment within five days of submitting the application, so you should book the appointment first and then submit your application in line with this date.

What do I need before making my EEA application?

Before starting your application for Permanent Residence, you should gather documents that prove you have been living in the UK. You will need to be able to provide details of what you have been doing in the UK.

This might include details of paid work, information about your job search, or bank statements to show your income. You should gather other documents that will help to prove you have been ordinarily resident in the UK. This might include council tax documents, utility bills, bank statements or NHS correspondence.

You will also need proof of identification, such as a passport or national identity card. You might also need birth certificates, adoption certificates, marriage certificates or any other documents which will prove your relationship to others.

Get in touch with us today for assistance with your application for EEA PR.

What if I do not have my identification document?

If you have lost your identification documents, you will need to explain this sufficiently in your application for Permanent Residence. You will also need to find a way to prove your identity. If you have lost your passport, for example, you will find it easier to get a replacement from your country of origin rather than trying to prove your identity without it.

How do I send my biometric information?

As part of your application for Permanent Residence, you will be required to send your biometric information, similar to that required for a passport. This is simply your fingerprints, a digital photograph and your signature.

You can do this at certain post office branches, and it costs £19.20.

This applies to all applications for Permanent Residence. Children under the age of six will not be required to give their fingerprints or signature, but they will need a digital photograph for their application.

What if I have not been living in the UK for over five years?

If you have been living in the UK for less than five years, you can apply for an EEA Residence Card. This is not necessary in order to live or work in the UK, but some people are choosing to apply for these cards in order to secure their position during the Brexit negotiations.

Note that the residence card is not a document certifying permanent residence; you still need to apply for PR before getting settled status. The EEA Residence Card is valid for five years, after which you may apply for Permanent Residence.

How can We Manage Your Visas help?

Our team of dedicated lawyers can answer all the questions you have on your application for EEA Permanent Residence. We can help you find out if you are eligible to apply, help prepare your documents and advise you on your best options after Brexit.

Our services include liaising with the Home Office and completing your application form to the highest standard. One of our lawyers will also prepare a personalised Letter of Representation to accompany your application. This outlines your case and references relevant UK immigration laws, which help to support your application.

As EU laws are in a constant state of flux, we will also monitor the current EU legislature. This will ensure that your application is up-to-date. Contact us now or use our online contact form to speak with an immigration lawyer who can help you with your application for EEA Permanent Residence.

Advice Package

Application Package

Fast Track Package

Appeal Package

We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

Reach out to us for more information or to see how we can help you?

Frequently Asked Questions