UK Spouse/Partner Visa Application

Spouse Visa/Partner Visa in UK

This visa provides an opportunity for non-British partners to live and work in the UK. You can apply for this family visa if you are the husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner (living together in a relationship for at least 2 years), fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner (will marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arriving) of a specified partner (see definition below) Some of the requirements are terribly restrictive, for example, applicants must meet a significant minimum income/finance threshold, which has been subject to fierce legal battles and criticism from family groups.

Our team provides expert legal advice and representation to those who are applying for a UK family visa as a partner or spouse, and we have a strong track record of successful applications.

What Are the Eligibility Requirements for a UK Spouse Visa or Partner Visa?

To successfully obtain a family visa as a partner or spouse, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • You and your partner both need to be 18 or over.
  • Your partner must either:
    • be a British
    • have settled in the UK – for example, they have ILR, settled status or proof of permanent residence
    • be from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein and have pre-settled status – they must have started living in the UK before 1 January2021
    • have a Turkish Businessperson visa or Turkish Worker visa
    • have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
  • You are in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognised in the UK or you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply or you are a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner and will marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arriving
  • If you are a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner, you must be seeking entry to the UK to enable your marriage or civil partnership to take place in the United Kingdom.
  • The relationship between you and your sponsor must be genuine and subsisting
  • You intend to live permanently with your sponsor in the UK and have adequate accommodation without recourse to public funds
  • Your sponsor meets the financial requirement. This would normally mean having an income of at least £18,600 per year (this increases if you have children) and/or having sufficient savings
  • You meet the English language requirement
  • The initial entry clearance visa is granted for 33 months (30 months if the application is made from inside the UK; if you apply as afiancé(e) or proposed civil partner, you will be give a 6-month visa to enable you to enter the UK to enable your marriage or civil partnership to take place here), after which you may apply for a Spouse Visa Extension of 30 months. After five years, you may be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

What Supporting Documents Will I Need for Spouse Visa or Partner Visa?

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) officials will want to see the following documents (It is not an exhaustive list) included with your application:

  • Your current passport or other travel documents
  • Your marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • Divorce certificate for any previous marriages, if applicable
  • Details of any criminal convictions, if applicable
  • Your National Insurance number (if you have one)
  • Details of your accommodation in the UK
  • Bank statements
  • Evidence of employment income, if applicable
  • Your sponsor’s British passport or Indefinite Leave to remain document
  • Details of any children who are also coming to the UK

How long does the partner visa process take?

You need to complete an online application to attend a physical (biometric) appointment whether applying from inside or outside the UK.

An application made from outside the UK could take around 3 months to be processed. Priority services are available in some countries, for expedited processing. On approval, your passport would be endorsed with a “vignette” to allow you to travel to the UK. You would need to collect your biometric residence permit on arrival to the UK from a pre-selected Post Office.

From inside the UK the normal service standard is 8 weeks [SH2]

Although the decision would normally be issued within 8 weeks of your biometric appointment your biometric residence permit will usually take a further 7 working days to be issued from the date of the decision

How much does it cost to apply as a partner or spouse?

The cost of a spouse/partner visa made inside the UK is £1033. The applicant will also need to pay £19.20 biometric enrolment fee as part of the application.

From outside the UK the spouse visa (classified as a “settlement visa” for the purpose of entry clearance) the visa cost is £1523. The settlement priority service, if available in the country of application would be an additional £573.

The applicant must also pay the Immigration Health Surcharge, which is £624 per year (£312 for every 6 month period). The spouse visa is granted for a 30 months (2.5 years) inside the UK, therefore the total surcharge would be £1560 for leave to remain. From outside the UK, the visa is granted for 33 months, therefore the total surcharge would be £1,872.

Contact us today to find out how we can help you take your next career step !

Reach out to us for more information or to see how we can help you?